The gentle giant

by Aditi Mishra – Elephants are some of the most wondrous creatures of Nature. So strong, so social and often wise. A study of African elephants from the Amboseli ecosystem in Kenya shows that the elephants could even be telling apart which human is dangerous and which one is friendly based on their life own experiences. The Amboseli national park…

Fantastic Feelings and How to Find Them!

  by Utkarsh Shrivastava – In our daily life, we deal with a lot of things, be it work, life, relationships, personal endeavors, or maybe even just regular things not going right. It might seem large to some people, and not so much to others, but everyone is dealing with their own demons in their own way, and needs to…

Slow and steady invasion by African giant snails

by Hinal Karva Our campus is a beautiful home to many insects, birds, and snakes. Well, it’s also the home for the small family of giant snails. First, I found a snail on the grass and in a short while four more around it. They seemed cute, big and active snails of our gardens, but this is what I learned…

A perfect cup of coffee

by Srishti Batra Recently while I was attending European Chemoreception Research Organisation ECRO2019 meeting, I had an opportunity to discover a lot more things about coffee which I dint know otherwise. A short visit to illy’s coffee production house left me awestruck. Illy caffe has only one production house in the world which is situated in beautiful port city of…

Suffer the little children

Editor’s note:  This is an opinion piece by the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the NICE Lab, NCBS, or TIFR. Cover photo by Shankar Chakravarty (https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/iit-delhi-researchers-develop-cheapest-respiratory-filter/article9707067.ece) by Shannon – The past two days I have been in discussion with several friends and colleagues about India’s human and environmental ecosystems. I have the honor and responsibility to play a…

An inspiration from Nature

by Srinivas Rao – The earth is now facing many problems such as climate change and droughts, and all of them result from human activities. Although 71% of the Earth is covered by water and the land that we live on only makes up the remaining 29%, water scarcity is one of the biggest challenges and an urgent problem for our…

Can we grow ‘Marine sponges’ in the laboratory?

by Anshika Singh Aquaculture is the most important aspects of marine biology. It is not only important for commercialization of important marine species but also required to understand their biology by conducting more controlled experiments in the laboratory While a lot of attention has been given for the aquaculture of commercially important seafood, there have been only few reports on…

NICE anatomy lessons: About crop pests’ crops

cover photo from Shoot for Science by Deepak Kakara , Dinesh Yadav Sukanya Olkar, and Parijat Si By Sebastian Sturm – Here in the NICE lab, we work on Rhagoletis pomonella – the apple maggot. The apple maggot is the larva of a fly which is specialized to a particular food source. Surprise: It’s the hawthorn berry. To us, hawthorn berries…

“Plastic-ene”

By Gauri Gharpure On a recent family vacation, I happened to visit a quaint little coastal village called Diveagar in the Kokan region of western Maharashtra, popular among tourists for its beaches and homestays. I was looking forward to going to the beach and walking on the sandy shore with sea spray on my face and the wind in my hair.…

Zen and the art of being an ant

by Aditi Mishra  –  Are you competitive? I know I am. People like us don’t live in absolutes – we were born to compare and compete. When we feel petty we compare ourselves to our peers. When we are in an enlightened mood we compete with our previous self. Being satisfied is not for us. Life is a journey from…